Tuesday, February 25, 2014

spread it around.

Taken from Humans of New York: 


"When he was dying, I said: 'Moe, how am I going to live without you?' He answered: 'Take the love you have for me, and spread it around." - HONY


What beautiful and encouraging advice. It is rare to find words to uplift a grieving spirit. But this sure did it for me. My friend, Petra shared it with me and I am so grateful. I return to it often because I feel like that is exactly something Dad would have said.



So, here we go....in one week I'll be sharing the love and I hope you plan to too! Just a little extra kindness can go a long long way, I promise. When I started thinking of this idea, I thought that thinking of 64 nice things would be easy to come up with. Then I stalled out at 30! But after much research  pinterest-ing, prayer, and observing the community around me I have finally come up with 64 things to do. I'm excited and want to share my plans so that you could get some ideas since you'll be joining me in this endeavor....right? right!

Here's a list of what I plan to do (in no particular order):

1. Leave some cookies and a thank you note for the trash collector
2. Leave some extra buddy bucks taped to the machine at HEB for kids to find
3. Put a gift card in Dad's favorite book at the bookstore so someone else can purchase and read it
4. Leave quarters in toy machines at HEB for kids to find
5. Pay for the starbucks order behind me in the drive through
6. Leave an encouraging note on the scale at the gym
7. Bring cookies and a thank you note to Harper's child care workers at the gym
8. Go to the hospital & drop off flowers at the nurses station to give to someone without any visitors
9. Handout a bag of treats to someone asking for food on the street
10. Leave cold water for runners along the trail
11. Take cookies to Grief Share at CBC (this is a wonderful support and discussion group for people who are experiencing grief in their lives....I would highly recommend it & it's offered through most large churches www.griefshare.org)
12. Leave some extra diapers/wipes on a changing table at Target
13. Leave coupons next to their products at HEB
14. Donate clothing
15. Leave a gift card in a bible at the bookstore for someone to enjoy (& hopefully buy that bible!)
16. Leave an encouraging note on a dressing room mirror
17. Bury toys in the sand pit at the park for kids to discover
18-20. Leave a lottery ticket taped to the gas pump x 3
21. Leave some candy & popcorn next to a Redbox
22. Take doughnuts to the firestation
23. Take doughnuts to the police station
24. Surprise one of my clients with a free yoga session
25. Leave sidewalk chalk at the park
26-30. Leave candy and an encouraging note on 5 cars in the hospital parking lot
31. Leave basket of toys at the oil change place
32. Leave some treats at the bus stop
33-35. Leave baskets with crayons and coloring books in the hospital waiting room x 3 
36. Take food to the food bank
37. Leave a gift card taped to a John Denver CD (one of Dad's Favorites)
38. Leave notes on the sidewalk in a neighborhood for kids to see on their walk home from school
39. Tape extra tickets and coins to Chuck E Cheese games
40. Leave a thank you note and cookies for mailman
41-45. Leave notes and a treat in neighbor's mailboxes x 5
46. Send a Birthday card to Colin (click HERE for info)
47. Donate to Project Linus (http://www.projectlinus.org/)
48. Give cookies and a card to Harper's teachers at school
49. Take cookies & treats to the Humane Society
50. Take a starbucks gift card to my hairstylist who is so super sweet, talented and works a LOT
51-55. Send cards to terminally ill children x 5 (www.hugsandhope.org)
56. Leave some extra quarters and toys at a laudrymat
57-60. Take flowers to a nursing home and ask to give to someone who rarely has visitors x 4
61. Write a thank you note to someone who has been instrumental to my healing this year without even knowing it :) 
62. Write a thank you note to a friend who has been extremely supportive this past year
63. Donate to Annie (a beautiful little girl who is a friend of a friend and who's family is going through something NO family should ever experience)
64. Leave some extra loose change at a Coinstar machine

So that's it! Any other ideas? Let me know what you plan to do and how it goes next week! THANK YOU so much for joining in this little project. It means so much to me!









1 comment:

  1. i can't wait to spread some love in honor of your dad. ♥ what an awesome idea. and i love love love the list.

    ReplyDelete